Most people enjoy soft drinks, pop, soda, whatever you want to call them… Well maybe not most people, but they sure can be tasty. Then they also have all those diet drinks, similar but just quite the same.
Well, if you have ulcerative colitis or some other IBD, you might want to do what I do, and not drink soda AT ALL.
Here is why I stopped drinking soda:
- I have UC, and had it very severely for over a year and was getting ready for surgery
- I remember having stomach aches all my life after drinking soda, or at least I thought they were stomach aches
- There is a ton of sugar in soda, mainly high fructose corn syrup
- I am on a strict diet called THE SCD DIET
now that prohibits processed sugars
- Since changing my diet a year ago, I have been feeling great
So, that’s my answer when someone asks me if they should be drinking Coke, or other sodas with UC….NO. It’s that simple. I think the sugars are no good for our colitis intestines, and Coke, Pepsi, 7-UP, Gatorade for that matter all have tons of sugars in them. That’s why they taste so good. Find yourself some fresh orange juice, or some fresh water(if you can anymore)